Welcome to Baily Lighthouse! Please come in
Dublin port is not a natural port and it is said that many ships sank while trying to enter Dublin port during the centuries. Baily lighthouse in Howth helps to make the ships journey into Dublin port safer and easier.
This is an old gas buoy light. Acetylene gas was used for illumination of this navigational aid floating in the open seas.
Modern buoys are powered by solar energy, from solar panels mounted to the buoy. However, increasingly this pysical buoys are replaced by virtual buoyes that are deployed at the click of a button and that are visible on the vessel screens using computer technology but do not physically exist.
Howitzer Cannon Fog Signal Gun
Cannon guns enterd the lighthouses in 1865. The were used as fog signal (unloaded!) and operated by retired admirality gunners.
3rd Order Dioptic Double Flash Optic (1896)
Before the advent of electricity the light was produced by a gas fire and the glass optic was turned by a clockwork system, not dissimilar to the clockwork mechanism in a "grandfather" clock.
The weights, cables and pulleys of the clockwork system used to hang down the middle of the lighthouse tower and had to be wind up every few hours (depending on the height of the tower) to ensure that the optic keeps turning to produce the flashing light.
Baily Lighthouse and gas works
Unitl 1908 Baily Lighthouse was illuminated by gas. For this reason, gas was distilled from cannel coal in the gas works located in the yard of the lighthouse. After that the light source at Baily Lighthouse was converted to incandescent vaporised paraffin and finally in 1972 an electric lamp was installed.